Sunday, January 18, 2009

An Open Letter To Jules Marie Caruso

Peter, Judy, Jules and Bryan Caruso (Nov 2007)
Jules:

I'm sure you saw yesterday, how many people came to show how much they loved you, because I know you were there with us. Your aunt and brother said such beautiful things (you would have been so proud of Bryan!). It was a fantastic day to honor your life.

Jules, I was already missing you, due to the break-up between your brother and I, but the things you taught me had held fast. I had been and will continue to honor you and your beliefs in small ways, each day. And I will always remember our first meeting and how warm and welcoming to me you were. The memories of our time doing yoga together and sitting in the hot tub on your parents patio, watching you save a little wayward frog and our walk on the beach Thanksgiving of '07 were and will remain close to my heart. One of my favorite memories is the baseball game in April '08 with your family and then the subsequent ride up to Wisconsin that you, Bryan and I shared together. I have thought of that afternoon many, many times. And I will wear the scarf you gave me with pride and will, like so many others, plant a garden this spring in your honor (grown just as you would have wanted it).

Through your friends, I have learned even more about who you were and what you stood for and while I didn't always understand some of your choices (I guess that's the city girl in me), I ALWAYS admired you and your steadfast convictions and beliefs, looked up to you and held you in the highest esteem.

And you have given me a gift, for which I could never repay you. Through the loss of you in our daily lives, I have gained some new friends (Jutta and others) and regained my connection to your family and your brother, whom I love more than words can express. Thank you, thank you, thank you for that. I am eternally grateful.

Many others have already said it, but you will live on in our hearts and our actions in our daily lives, as will the messages in which you so strongly believed. I know that God is holding you in his arms and I have prayed that my grandfather George Norman Purvis, who you would have loved, as he was a farmer and a lover of all things living, will come find you to show you around heaven and to help you get settled in.

I will miss you.

With all of my love,

Copper Dog

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful words. Where was that picture taken? Everybody looks so relaxed and happy.

We might hold a memorial here in Tucson for Jules. If anybody who knew Jules when she lived here (mid- to late 90's) sees this and wants more info, please e-mail me at this temporary e-mail address, julescaruso@pobox.com

CopperDog said...

It was taken on the beach near Peter and Judy's home last November, when Bryan, Jules and I were there for Thanksgiving. It was a beautiful night and so much fun.