Saturday, January 3, 2009

In Memorium: Jules Caruso 12/27/69 - 01/01/09

In Memorium: Jules Caruso 12/27/69 - 01/01/09


I remember the neckcurls, limp and damp as tendrils;

And her quick look, a sidelong pickerel smile;

And how, once started into talk, the light syllables leaped for her.

And she balanced in the delight of her thought,

A wren, happy, tail into the wind,

Her song trembling the twigs and small branches.

The shade sang with her;

The leaves, their whispers turned to kissing,

And the mould sang in the bleached valleys under the rose.


Oh, when she was sad, she cast herself down into such a pure depth,

Even a father could not find her:

Scraping her cheek against straw,

Stirring the clearest water.

My sparrow, you are not here,

Waiting like a fern, making a spiney shadow.

The sides of wet stones cannot console me,

Nor the moss, wound with the last light.


If only I could nudge you from this sleep,

My maimed darling, my skittery pigeon.

Over this damp grave I speak the words of my love:

I, with no rights in this matter,

Neither mother nor father nor brother.


-Theodore Roethke

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I happened to be googling my old friend Jules from my college days and found this. We were Ecology & Evolutionary Biology majors at the U of A in Tucson, and we often played pool in various hangouts on 4th Avenue. She was a friend when I needed one, and she unwittingly introduced me to my future husband. Last time I saw her was after graduation, before she returned home to Milwaukee. I gave her some homemade apricot liquor, and she pedaled away on her bike into the night. I am heartbroken to hear this very sad news!!! :((

CopperDog said...

Jutta: It is very sad. I dated her brother Bryan for about 18 months, until we broke up this past November. I will be at the service for her in Milwaukee on the 17th. Would you like me to pass on anything?

Anonymous said...

Thank you Copper Dog, please contact me: jutta@filzmail.com. I'm still trying to absorb all this, but I should have something ready this weekend. Thank you kindly for offering to pass this on.

It's strange ... last time Jules and I connected was 10, maybe 11 years ago. We e-mailed back and forth a bit after she left Tucson, but eventually our lives drifted apart; you know how it is.

Then out of the blue I get this "hmmm, wonder what Jules is up to" only to find out she passed away a few days ago. Sometimes I wonder if we remain somehow connected to friends and acquaintances from our past, in ways that we can't explain or comprehend.

Looking forward to your e-mail. JH

Anonymous said...

I have created an Online Guestbook for Jules, here's the link:

http://www.legacy.com/JSOnline/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=122712949

My eulogy (it's long) should appear soon. If you could pass it on, or point friends/relatives to the above URL, that would be wonderful.

Thank you so much, and please forward my heartfelt condolences to her parents and brother. I can't imagine what they must be going through right now. Jules is a very hard person to lose.

Peace.

CopperDog said...

Jutta:

I've passed on your post to Bryan and will be watching for your eulogy. I'll take a copy with me on Saturday, as well. Thank you for setting up the guest book. I had no idea that was even an option. I also passed your email address on to Bryan. I hope that's ok.

With love,

-Copper Dog